Name:
Location: California

Friday, February 02, 2007

The tunnel

I spent a lot of time on the school bus. I made friends with another little boy on the bus, and we would talk a lot, but we never visited one another's house. One day we decided that it would be fun if we had a tunnel that ran from his house to mine. I did not know precisely where he lived, but as soon as I got home I got a shovel and went out to the woods and began digging. I didn't stop to think how long it would take to dig the tunnel, or what I would do with the dirt. I just started digging. But it was hard work, tree roots got in the way, and I made very little progress. After a couple of hours I had to go into the house for dinner. When my brothers heard about my idea, they ridiculed it.

That night it rained. When I came home from school I went back out to the woods to dig some more. I was disappointed that I had dug so little the day before. "Maybe it will go faster after I get through the tree roots," I thought. When I got to the hole I found that it was filled with rainwater. One of my brothers had come with me to see my tunnel. He laughed at the size of the hole, telling me it would take me years and years to get anywhere. It was too wet to dig that day, and for several days after that. By the time the hole was dry I had lost interest in the tunnel.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Papa! Suprise! I was looking at one of Cindy's old blogs today and happened to notice the one where she found out about your blog. (I won't tell.) But why do you write family stories when we don't know you have a blog so we can't read them? (Or am I the only one who didn't know?)
I started a tunnel once, the one Taffy made bigger, actually, because I wanted to make a tunnel to the Hiltons or to Kayla's, I don't remember which now. I kind of think it was the Hiltons. So, we sort of had the same idea, only my idea was dummer.

5:25 PM, February 06, 2007  
Blogger Nectar said...

Hi Rosie! You found me!

Well, I was hoping to get some opinions on my stories from outside of the family. I'm thinking of publishing my stories some day. I haven't got much feedback, so I may quite doing this.

Seems like a natural dream to build tunnels to our friends. Not all dreams come true.

3:59 PM, March 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home