Name:
Location: California

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Why I was in a dumpster on Father’s Day

Those who know me would be shocked that I would be dumpster diving. Others would be shocked that I was doing such an activity on the Sabbath. Then why on Father’s Day, of all days? Well, let me explain.

I got married thirty four years ago today. At that time I gave my new bride a gold wedding ring. Five months earlier I had given her a diamond engagement ring. The years passed and she had the engagement ring welded to the wedding ring, forming what we might call the One True Ring, or OTR.

More years passed. About sixteen years ago my bride slipped and fell while carrying a baby. In order to protect the baby she landed hard on her left hand. Her ring finger was messed up, and she could no longer slip the OTR over her knuckle. After she managed to take the OTR off she put it away in a safe place. And thus the OTR lay dormant.

About two months ago my oldest child got married. At this time my wife took out the OTR and decided to wear it again, on her little finger. She was happy, and the OTR seemed happy.

Some friends of ours got married last Friday. My wife volunteered to prepare a luncheon for the wedding party. The marriage was at a temple about 150 miles from where we live, and the luncheon was to be in a nearby chapel. So my wife drove the 150 miles, prepared the luncheon, cleaned up afterward, and drove back home exhausted. The next morning she discovered that the OTR was missing.

She searched high and low for the OTR, but she could not find it. The rest of the family looked for it, and none of us could find it. At about 6 PM on Sunday, before we had even eaten lunch or dinner, she decided she must drive to the chapel near the temple and search the dumpster for the ring. Because she might have lost it in the trash when she helped clean up. I couldn’t very well let her make this trip on her own, so I went with her. She couldn’t get all of the bags of trash out of the dumpster without someone climbing into the dumpster, which is why I came to be in a dumpster on Father’s Day.

And the OTR has not allowed itself to be found.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home